Could somebody advise as to the effort level and any tips for me to
add better support for Prototype working with SVG docs?

The two things I miss the most (so far), are the complete lack of
observe/Event.Handlers capability (perhaps due to XML namespace
difference, since the SVG Events are still w3c Events); and that the
Element constructor doesn't work.  I think of Element as a wrapper for
the w3c HTMLElement, but it's funny that $("id") and $$("selecctor")
do return somewhat-extended SVGElements (which are NOT HTMLElements).
By 'somewhat', I mean, for example, that the .update() function is
available but the .observe() function is not.

Without those two items, I don't know whether using PrototypeJS is
worth the weight of that .js file.  I understand that it may just be
out-of-scope for PrototypeJS to support SVGElement and SVG Events.