Blaine - Thanks for responding.

Exactly. When I type the text into the field it does not appear. I can
focus it but I cannot type into it.

The browser I'm using is Safari 5.0.1.

Copy and pasting the source doesn't help. I use the index page only to
load up the js libraries and some css. I have simplified the code down
so that I can give a simple presentation of the issue. I am just
extract code into a seperate application and see if this gives a good
result.

Basically this is part of a stand alone game developed with phonegap
to run on webOS, iOS and android.

I am currently introducing some networking capability for a score
leaderboard.

I can post to my rails server controller/model if I hard code the
input element values. I can also get data. I do not use the rails
views.

I guess you do not see something obvious in the code below. That's all
I wanted to check. Was I doing something stupid because I am new to
forms.

Looking at Web Inspector I notice that the contentEditable property is
set to false for the input elements. Should this be true?

I'll take on board your advice.

Nigel