Try daisy chaining them... let the onComplete of one function initiate the
ajax call for the next query.

// initiate the first ajax Query
function ajaxFuncFirst(url)
{
  url = url +".php";
  new Ajax.Updater( 'result', url, {method: 'post', parameters:
$('myform').serialize(), onSuccess: ajaxFuncFirst_Results, onFailure:
ajax_err, on0: ajax_err});
}
// onComplete of first query, it'll call the 2nd ajax query
function ajaxFuncFirst_Results()
{
  // do some processing here (i.e. fill in list box)
  ajaxFuncSecond("query2url");
}

// this is the 2nd query which gets called at the end of the onComplete of
the first query
 function ajaxFuncSecond(url)
{
  url = url +".php";
  new Ajax.Updater( 'result', url, {method: 'post', parameters:
$('myform').serialize(), onSuccess: ajaxFuncSecond_Results, onFailure:
ajax_err, on0: ajax_err});
}
function ajaxFuncSecond_Results()
{
  // do some processing here (i.e. fill in list box)
  ajaxFuncThird("query3url");
}

 // this is the 3rd query which gets called at the end of the onComplete of
the fsecond query
 function ajaxFuncThird(url)
{
  url = url +".php";
  new Ajax.Updater( 'result', url, {method: 'post', parameters:
$('myform').serialize(), onSuccess: ajaxFuncThird_Results, onFailure:
ajax_err, on0: ajax_err});
}
function ajaxFuncThird_Results()
{
  // do some processing here (i.e. fill in list box)
  ajaxFuncFourth("query4url");
}

// show's we're processing (ajax swirly icon)
// and hides the submit button
function showProcessing()
{
  if(Ajax.activeRequestCount > 0)
    $('submit').hide();
    document.getElementById('inProgress').style.display = 'inline';
}

// hide's the fact that we're processing which shows processing is completed
// this will also unhide the submit button
function hideProcessing ()
{
  if(Ajax.activeRequestCount <= 0)
    document.getElementById('inProgress').style.display = 'none';
    $('submit').show();
}