Hmmm!  Actually it seems to be working locally as well.  I must be
confused about what to expect with the objects returned by $ with
IE8.  When I am looking at them in the IE8 debugger, I do not see the
methods from the prototype Element.  However, if I call the method, it
finds it.  I was really expecting to see the methods listed.