I don't understand why this would be so, but it appears to be true in my testing here.

Consider the following form:

<form action="somewhere/useful" method="post">
</form>

And the following observer in the page head:

document.observe('dom:loaded', function(){
        $('send').observe('mousedown',function(evt){
                $('wait').show();

The idea being that when the mouse is pressed, (and thus before the form is submitted, canceling any further page updates) the 'wait' element is shown, covering the form up with a spinny thing.

What happens is that the form submission stops dead when I observe the mousedown, and works fine when I observe the mouseup. This is in 1.6.latest Prototype, nothing else in the page.

Can anyone explain why a mousedown observer that does not explicitly trap the event would still seem to trap the event?

Thanks,

Walter