On 17 November 2010 14:43, Phil Petree <phil.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know there are exceptions to every rule... and I have been in your shoes
> (supporting users on platforms that are no longer supported) and its a tough
> walk.
>

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 9:13 AM, matt.asbury <matt.asb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I appreciate your standpoint Phil but as web developers we must
>> support our users needs. Unfortunately our biggest customers are
>> public sector workers with the major browser in their environment
>> being IE6. Online figures tell half a story
>>
>> On Nov 17, 2:07 pm, Phil Petree <phil.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > There comes a time in every products life cycle when you must choose
>> > which
>> > core products (e.g. browsers etc.) and platforms you will support.
>> >
>> > In the case of ie6, with less than 5% of all page views (and rapidly
>> > declining), it is now a footnote so why support it at all?
>> >
>> > stats here:http://mashable.com/2010/06/01/ie6-below-5-percent/
>> >
>> > This be-all-to-all strategy simply doesn't work.  You can't possibly
>> > support
>> > all versions of all browsers without causing a horrible and
>> > unpredictable
>> > experience for users.

I've been in this exact situation.

And the way I handled this was to say that the due to the limitations
and capabilities of IE6, the more interactive features prevalent on
modern websites were simply not economically viable to implement.

Basically IE6 development costs at least twice as much as IE8, in
terms of development time and hacking workarounds. AND there is no
guarantee that once the code is running on IE6 that it will work on
any other browser, not without even more development time (and
therefore money). Tell them that by providing a standard/simple HTML
page you are saving them considerable amounts of money in terms of
development costs and support issues.

So, sure, provide them with a normal, non-interactive site that
fulfils the business requirement. Just don't add any bells and
whistles.

If you do this AND can provide a working site, you'll probably keep
the contract AND be the first they'll talk to when/if they do upgrade.

Regards,

Richard.

--
Richard Quadling