Hi,

It sounds like you're saying that Smarty generates the proper HTML
which would be displayed correctly (e.g., you'd see "á" for the
á entity) if you just displayed it in a web page, but you're
saying that same HTML loaded by Ajax.Updater is actually showing the
entities (e.g., "á") rather than what they code for.

If Smarty is really generating and returning normal HTML, that
shouldn't happen, and so you'll want to look closely at Smarty's
output. For instance, this test page[1] loads the string "<p>This is
the HTML loaded via Ajax.Updater, which contains &quot;quotes&quot;,
an &amp;, an &aacute;, and an &mdash;.</p>​" from a different JSBin
entry via Ajax.Updater, and the result shows correctly as "This is the
HTML loaded via Ajax.Updater, which contains "quotes", an &, an á, and
an —."

So you'll want to take another look at what exactly Smarty is
generating and returning to Ajax.Updater. You can do that easily
enough by adding an `onSuccess` handler to the Ajax.Updater's options
and looking at the value of the response's `responseText` member in a
debugger (or, in a pinch, with `alert`), as in this updated
example[2]. Also worth using a tool like Firebug or Chrome's Dev
Tools, etc., to look at the HTTP response. Is it being served with the
right content type? (Although I'm not sure how much Ajax.Updater
cares.)

[1] http://jsbin.com/ukasi3/2
[2] http://jsbin.com/ukasi3/3

HTH,