http://api.prototypejs.org/dom/Event/observe/

<http://api.prototypejs.org/dom/Event/observe/> Changes in 1.6.x

Prior to Prototype 1.6,
Event.observe<http://api.prototypejs.org/dom/Event/observe/> supported
a fourth argument (useCapture), a boolean that indicated whether to use the
browser's capturing phase or its bubbling phase. Since MSIE does not support
the capturing phase, we removed this argument from 1.6, lest it give users
the false impression that they can use the capturing phase in all browsers.

1.6 also introduced setting the this context to the element being observed,
automatically extending the Event
<http://api.prototypejs.org/dom/Event/> object,
and the
Event#findElement<http://api.prototypejs.org/dom/Event/prototype/findElement/>