Hi,

`Object` is deep in the core of JavaScript, not just Prototype.

You can add static functions to `Object` fairly safely provided you
use obscure names:

    Object.myReallyObscureMethodName = function() {
        // ....
    };

...but as you mentioned, you will be susceptible to naming conflicts.

What you must **never** do is add to `Object.prototype`:

    // DON'T DO THIS
    Object.prototype.myReallyObscureMethodName = function() {
        // ....
    };

If you do that (the way it's shown above), then just about every
`for..in` loop in code running alongside yours will fail, because the
above adds an enumerable `myReallyObscureMethodName` property to *all
objects*:

    var name;
    for (name in {}) {
        alert(name); // This gets reached, and alerts
"myReallyObscureMethodName"
    }

...and that's just a Bad Thing(tm). (As of ECMAScript 5th edition,
it's *possible* to add non-enumerable properties to `Object.prototype`
using special syntax, but I still wouldn't do it.)

HTH,
Independent Software Engineer
tj / crowder software / com
www / crowder software / com