On 17 December 2010 08:32, Luke <kickingje...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> thanks for your reply. With
>
>> The return is something I've been using since May 2008 with all the
>> releases and updates since then.
>
> Do you mean you have used the native prototype-return, or did you
> alter it, and it still worked?
>
> On Dec 16, 6:04 pm, Richard Quadling <rquadl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 16 December 2010 16:36, Luke <kickingje...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Hi,
>>
>> > if you define a Class like
>>
>> > ----------------------------------
>> > var TestClass = Class.create({
>> >        initialize: function(element) {
>> >                element = $(element);
>> >                this.doFunkyStuffWithElement(element)
>> >                return element;
>> >        },
>> >        doFunkyStuffWithElement: function(element) { log("funky stuff
>> > here") }
>> > });
>> > ----------------------------------
>>
>> > and you instantiate that Class
>>
>> > var myObject = new TestClass();
>>
>> > is there a way I can change it so (while namespacing my Class-Code so
>> > Prototype's Class will remain untouched) that instantiation of that
>> > class will return something different than what Prototype returns (in
>> > my case a DOM-Object that has been extended with custom Methods)?
>>
>> > ---
>> > Why I want to do this: I'm working on a site where you can create
>> > really simple webpages by adding, editing, and removing elements on
>> > your page. To structure my code I make use of prototype's dom-
>> > extending nature and its way of class-inheritance:
>> > There is a base class for elements on the page which has methods for
>> > editing and removing that object and so on. I subclass this base-class
>> > for specific elements where I implement the specific editing/removing/
>> > whatever-code. Now to map my functionality to the elements on the
>> > page, I extend the DOM-Elements which you can edit/etc with the
>> > methods and properties of the class, leaving out unnecessary
>> > constructors etc.
>>
>> > But it is always a little annoying to extend an object with a class,
>> > and then fetch that object again to work with it:
>>
>> > ----------------------------------
>> > new EditablePicture($('the_element_I_extend'));
>> > var my_element = $('the_element_I_extend');
>> > my_element.do_something();
>> > ----------------------------------
>>
>> > it would be nice to be able to do something like this:
>>
>> > ----------------------------------
>> > var my_element = new EditablePicture($('the_element_I_extend'));
>> > my_element.do_something();
>>
>> Yep - I think so. Look at around line 80 of prototype.js
>>
>>     function klass() {
>>       return this.initialize.apply(this, arguments);
>>     }
>>
>> The return is something I've been using since May 2008 with all the
>> releases and updates since then.
>>
>> I've not had any issues with my code or with scripty with it.

> [...]

I build my own prototype. I have a patch which is applied to after the
compiled from source.

So, any class I create, I can return something from the initializer.

I'm trying to find the original request for this feature, but I can't.
It makes my classes work like a Factory if the initializer returns
something other than this.