Chris, the selector is valid, I have an input with a class="previous" within
a form container id="paging"
Colin, after the select option list is dynamically constructed I set the
first item in the list like this:
pagePageSelector.options.selectedIndex = (currentpage - 1);
I've stepped through the code at this point and there is no issue here,
currentpage has value and -1 this value is 0 or greater.

After additional study I have learned that there was conflicting events on
document:load that meant certain assigned event handler bindings invalid.  I
have moved these binding scripts into later event handled scripts.

Thanks for the help.  Issue solved.
Karl..