T.J. I've moved on from this but shall return.  I'm having a similar problem
with bindAsEventListener, I have the following:

    document.observe('MeetQuery:lookup_scores',
 _msoRSess.appear.bindAsEventListener(_msoRSess,
$('SCORES').down.bind('div.grid table'));

Where the 2nd argument in the bindAsEventListener is the layer which will be
updated when I've processed the json returned back from the
MeetQuery:lookup_scores event.

The problem is, the layer beyond $('SCORES'), so 'div.grid table' has not
been defined until later, well after this code occurs.  This code occurs in
the dom:loaded event.  So, I can't pass this layer into the appear method
since it receives undefined.  How can I do this?  Basically observe
something from the beginning of the dom:loaded and reference an element that
does not exist?

Karl..