I am using the InplaceEditor inside Rails-Views. I customized the behaviour
but I am still looking for one more thing:
Currently, on clicking the element or using the external control "edit", the
input is shown and all text inside is selected (and requires one more click
to de-select). Is there an option to not select the text and position the
cursor and the beginning (in case of text area) or at the end (in case of
one line input)?

      <%= javascript_tag do %>
             new Ajax.InPlaceEditor('<%= dom_id(task, :name) %>', '<%=
tab_task_path(task.tab, task) %>',  {
                submitOnBlur: true,
                okControl: false,
                cancelControl: false,
                cols: 44,
                savingText: "",
                highlightColor: "#dddddd",
                highlightEndColor: "#dddddd",
                clickToEditText: "",
                externalControlOnly: true,
                externalControl: <%= dom_id(task, :nameedit) %>,
                htmlResponse: false,
                ajaxOptions: {method: 'put'},
                callback: function(form, value) { return 'name=' +
encodeURIComponent(value) },
                onComplete: function(transport, element) {  }
             } );
          <% end %>