Hi,

What you've quoted here:

> Access-Control-Request-Headers=remote_user,x-prototype-version,x-

...isn't a request header. It looks like a response header from a
server that accepts CORS[1] requests and (for its own reasons) decided
to make your request headers all lowercase.

I just tried your code with Prototype 1.7 (http://jsbin.com/ikere3),
and the actual *request* header sent (according to Chrome, and
separately according to Firebug), was indeed REMOTE_USER with the
value I gave ("foo", in my case).

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/access-control/

HTH,
Independent Software Engineer