I'm using 1.7 rc2 (don't have access to a later version at the moment)
and it seems like getWidth is only counting the width, and not
including the border width. The documentation hints that it should
return the width of the element's layout box.

.foo {
    border: 1px solid black;
    width: 498px;
}

$('foo').getHeight() --> 498 in Safari 5.latest

I think it should be 500. Is this just a factor of the version I'm
using, or is it how it's supposed to work?

Walter