I have been developng pretty much the same thing as a MVC architecture
for my webapps and sites too. It works pretty well although I have
managed to hang the browser owing to my own mistakes mostly. The worst
part is when you see that "Unresponsive script" thingy in FF. But I
think it's usually bad coding practice that makes it so. In edit mode,
what I do is provide update/new/delete buttons right on-the-fly, and
sometimes preferences box for a particular boxed-in content. For more
complex operation, I block the screen which is pretty much standard in
so many sites these days and create a custom dialog/window with tabs
if needed basically a layer on top of the blocker layer so it turns
into a modal. Users should be happy with that, and they usually are. I
am also working with lot of trays which can pop out from different
sides with various buttons and tools and that keeps the editing area
uncluttered. In effect there is no need to create a separate admin
panel as in old style content management systems: That is so much more
"user-friendly", if you will pardon me for using a cliche...

In another implementation I have created dynamic addition of sections
and although I have kept it to maximum 12 so far I don't see any
problems with unlimited. You'd need scrolling the sections links or
whatever way you want to arrange them (in a tree too, or even drop
down if anyone cares for that). Basically the main layers for the
section would be instantiated only loading them and destroyed as soon
as user clicks away from them. So you have only one section loaded.
Get the data in through a xHttp call perhaps from a db or XML file and
everything looks and works just great. The best way to finally
populate the data is using JSON of course. Earlier, I could not think
for the life of me why to use JSON at all, but now I am a big advocate
of it's use in the last leg data delivery to the browser through JS.

My two cents, hope to learn more from practice and thoughts posted
here.
Cheers