I guess what he means is this:
He opens a popup and wants to access a variable that's declared in the parent window. He could pass the value of the variable in the url (= by get, $_GET in PHP) but he wants to support large texts and might pose a problem when put in the url.

Solution:
I don't think there is a "prototype-way" to do this, but it can still be done with standard javascript:
opener.document.getElementById("foo").value = 'bar';

David