I prepend something known and meaningless, like row_ to the numerical ID. Then I strip that off with slice or split('_').last() when I need to use it later. Frameworks like Scriptaculous Sortable do that for you as well, when you serialize a sortable table, you are required to have the IDs set like that, with a prefix, underscore, and number.

Walter