Hi,

If I'm understanding you correctly, it would be a job for regular
expressions:

var match = /element\[[0-9]+\]\[([^\]]+)\]/.exec(element.name);
if (match) {
  // Use match[1], which contains "Theme"
}

Live example: http://jsbin.com/ozoyi3/2

That allows extra stuff at both the beginning and the end of the name;
if you want to tighten it up, add ^ at the beginning and $ at the end:
http://jsbin.com/ozoyi3/3

The regex says: Look for 'element[' followed by one or more digits
followed by '][' followed by (and capturing) anything that isn't a
']', followed by a ']'. Captures are stored starting at index 1 in the
match result array, so if `match` doesn't come back `null`, we look in
`match[1]` for the value that was in the second set of `[]`s.

HTH,
Independent Software Engineer
tj / crowder software / com
www / crowder software / com