As far as I can tell, the following is only an issue in Safari.

I have a *.PHP file in which I have a background color set for the
body tag.  Inside the head tag I have prototype.js, scriptaculous.js,
and effect.js.

The presence of scriptaculous.js in the head tag -- even if no other
scriptaculous code is present --  causes the body tag background color
to not display correctly.   When the screen is refreshed the
background only displays as far as the last div tag on the screen.
Anything below that displays as white.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.