var bOwner = 1;
var radioTemplate = new
Template('input[type=radio][name=#{selectID}][value=#{selectValue}]');
$('ajRecord').value = 1;
$('ajacct_id').value = 1;
$('ajhoa_id').value = 1;
selectThis = {selectID: 'owner', selectValue: bOwner };
$$(radioTemplate.evaluate(selectThis))[0].writeAttribute("checked",
"checked");  // blows up!

// this works but we prefer to use the template for brevity/bandwidth sake
if(bOwner > 0 )
{
  $('ajowner').writeAttribute("checked", "checked");
}
else

$$("input[type=radio][name='owner'][value='false']")[0].writeAttribute("checked",
"checked");