Thanks, and no apologies necessary for the *complete* response!  Why global
variables?  This is a mixture of good code and bad code, so a hack together.
 I'm tending to develop more and more with objects now (thanks to Prototype)
in my client-side code.  I'm big on event driven code methods, and again,
Prototype to the rescue!  Event driven code is a must in rich client apps.
Like the grid object throwing an event, "I'm done drawing myself", and then
everyone who cares latches on to the event to do it's work.
Anyhow... ok, so pass-by-value, duhhh!

Thanks for the object tip.  I'll work out a better "hack" for my jsonDataM
global variable.

Karl..