Hi,

Yeah, I don't think there's any valid way to do this in XHTML without
a lot of work. You could turn them into namespaced non-HTML XML
elements as discussed here[1], but metadata content isn't valid
everywhere, so that wouldn't be *quite* valid. (Might be valid
*enough*.)

My backup suggestion was to have your pre-processor attach the content
of the processing instructions as data-xyz attributes, either on their
parent element or the element that follows them, whichever makes more
sense for what you're doing. Not ideal at all, as they'll get
relocated if they appear inside a large block of text, but...

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/content-models.html#metadata-content

Good luck,