Problem solved!

To answer your question: Yes in FF3 as well as in IE everything worked
fine.
FF4 seems to be much less error tolerant.

I found out that my php-script returned an <input> element outside of
the <tr>tag.

So the php-script used for ajax should have returned:

but instead returned

resulting in the fact that FF4 just ignored the whole ajax result.

After changing the PHP-script to not return the first <input...> tag,
everything works fine now.
So the lesson is, that if FF4 does not return an AJAX result at all,
it may be because of just one html element that is not conform to the
standard.

Thanks and best regards,
Benedikt.