Hi,

Because the ports are different, that qualifies as a cross-origin
call, and cross-origin calls are essentially disallowed because of the
Same Origin Policy[1].

You have a couple of options, both of which require specific support
on the server:

* You could have your web service support JSON-P[2], which works cross-
origin.

* If you're willing to limit use of your page to modern browsers and
do some fiddling for IE8 and above (IE7 and below won't work), you
could use the new Cross-Origin Resource Sharing standard[3]. This is a
new standard that allows cross-origin calls if the server authorizes
them. It's supported in modern browsers, although in IE you have to
use the special `XDomainRequest` object rather than the usual
`XMLHttpRequest` object used by Prototype's ajax stuff. (Other
browsers, like Firefox and Chrome, support CORS via `XMLHttpRequest`.)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same_origin_policy
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSONP#JSONP
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/access-control/

HTH,