By "Ajax call", do you mean an Ajax.Request or an Ajax.Updater ?
If you use an Ajax.Request, I am kind of sure you can do anything in
your onSuccess, including observing new events.
If you use Ajax.Updater which return some embedded <script> tag, it
should work if you ensure option evalScripts is true (but it should be
ok since it works in other browsers).

I recommend you use debug tools recommended by Miguel to have a close
look at the AJAX calls (check headers and content of both request and
response) and figure out what is different between working browser and
chrome.

Wild guess : chrome may send different headers to your server, causing
the server to reply with different headers, which do not allow
javascript to be executed for some reason.

There is also some limitation for functions created in <script> tags
embedded in an Ajax.Updater:
function f() {...}
will not work, but something like this will:
f = function() {...}

Please let us know when you found what was wrong.

Eric