Those are some good ideas.  In an effort to just write something quickly I
decided to:

1) keep track of context object z-index
2) set z-index of this object to some absurd big z-index value
3) on lost focus (or when the object should resume the "not" expanded state)
return z-index to original size

This seems to be working fine..
I was fishing for if anyone else had ran into similar implementation
problems.  You know its fantastic to finally be able to write all of this
great Javascript code using Prototype, but you still have to write it
intelligently.