Sorry for late answer, but there are my few coins on custom attributes.

For XHTML solution exists many years - from the beginning of XHTML itself:
XML namespaces. Define custom attributes in custom namespace, and the
resulting XHTML page will be perfectly valid. Example (stripped from working
system):

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
xmlns:v="Form navigation and validation framework">
<head>
  <title>Title</title>
</head>
content?">Refresh</a>

Works in almost any browser (IE6+, Opera 9+, Firefox 3.5+, Chrome 10+,
Safari 4+ - each and every browser currently used by our developers, testers
and clients), passes W3C validation. The biggest problem was escaping/not
escaping semicolon in CSS selectors for different selector engines:
Prototype 1.6 legacy selector and Prototype 1.7 + NWMatcher allows unescaped
semicolon like $$("a[a:target]"), while Prototype 1.7 + Sizzle requires
backslash $$("a[a\:target]").