The easiest way around this is to write your code so it fails gracefully. Either one of these will work:

$$('#noSuchElement').invoke(yourFunction);

or

var elm = $('noSuchElement');
if (elm) yourFunction();

The first one is my favorite, because it swallows any errors. If you're saying that you're getting an error from IE just from trying to use $('noSuchElement') all by itself, not actually trying to use the return from that, then the first method is what I would advise.

Walter