Back in the beginning (we're talking the 80's here), I wrote my first piece
of code in 8086 assember and I've migrated to C (had one of the original
windows SDKs), C++, ASP, .NET over to PHP, javascript and prototype etc.
I'm not generally the swiftest coder out there but given enough time I can
generally figure out solutions to even the most complex of problems and I
can honestly say that SENCHA completely escapes me!  I couldn't get a
single one of their demos to work and it was nearly impossible to extend it
to anything remotely useful (i.e. capturing a users location). After
emailing people who claimed to have their ap up and running in 1 day and
learning it was marketing hype, I finally just walked away from it...

Scripty looked promising but it is being developed very slowly... painfully
so...

I've looked at a number of other "silver bullet" solutions and nothing
really exists.  I finally relented and hired a shop to write the mobile
apps.

It would be nice if someone would write a nice "device abstraction layer"
but I dont see that happening... at least not a freebie! LOL