The classic answer to this error is to make sure the element you are trying to
use is already "extended" by Prototype. This is as simple as wrapping it in
$(element) or calling Element.extend(element) on it. I believe that 1.7 fixes
some IE problems; if you can, try updating Prototype to the latest and see if
that alone fixes the problem. (Those IE problems I'm remembering may not be
related to this, may be IE9-centric, I'm really not sure.)

Walter