On Apr 19, 2012, at 9:45 AM, Edward Nygma wrote:

> My server is running locally on XAMPP and as far as I know is sending
> it to my browser in UTF-8

This is a potential problem source. Can you locate the php.ini file, and see
precisely what value is set for the default_charset value? By default, this is
set to empty, and that kicks the can up to Apache, which may not be configured
to send Unicode by default.

> When I view source as shown below UTF-8 encoding is sent to the
> browser, however the £ symbol is still unrecognised.

What do you see if you use a static HTML file, viewed locally (file / open),
with the charset mime tag set to utf-8 -- instead of viewing from your server?

Walter