> In prototype 1.6.0.1 I used to use Event.cache[formElement._eventID] to
> check if an element has attached events.

Why do you need such check at all? If you need to remove all event
observers from element - there is #stopObserving(), if you need to remove
from element and its children - there is #purge().

Look at
https://github.com/victor-homyakov/VisualEvent/blob/master/js/parsers/prototype1.7.js
 -
this code enumerates attached event handlers.