This is the link to the old documentation, which has been available for a
long time but is no longer available
http://prototypejs.org/api

What I like more about the old documentation was there were better examples
inline with the API code.  The new API, albeit a much better interface, is
suited more for advanced coders I think.

Now, having said that, there looks like some additional work has been done
to these pages:
http://prototypejs.org/learn/

I have been working on an icon factory helper script, which, given an icon
image sprite lets you pick an icon and gives you back the correct static
icon factory get method for use in your code, and well I found the *Measuring
Elements and Offsets* section very useful!
I think we should focus on expanding these articles and I think the API
should reference these articles wherever possible.

Karl..