I believe that the plan all along w/r/t these new JS-core features has been to
prefer the native implementation where available and compatible, and leave the
Prototype method as a polyfill for older browsers. I don't believe that
Prototype currently behaves this way, but the last time I heard anything
"official" on this list about the future of Prototype, that was one of the
things mentioned.

BTW, what browser were you using when you tested this? In Safari.latest Mac OS
X, I see Prototype winning, and native 17% slower.

Walter