I think we also need administrative profile on windows or any OS for that
matter. For the multiuser install there needs to be an administrative
profile.
The ability to have disable/enable profiles for each user is right on. This
is more or less how we work with the current eclipse.

             Andrew Overholt
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             Sent by:                  provisioning-dev
             provisioning-dev-         <provisioning-dev@eclipse.org>
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          cc
             rg
                                                                   Subject
                                       [provisioning-dev] Profile
             08/07/2007 12:37          inheritance
             PM

             Please respond to
                "Developer
              discussions for
               provisioning
                 \(Update
                 Manager\)
               initiatives"
             <provisioning-dev
               @eclipse.org>

Hi,

The week before last I had some discussions with Pascal about how
Equinox provisioning stuff will interact with Linux distribution
packages.  Since then I've been struggling a bit to get my thoughts and
our discussions collected so I'd like to discuss them here to get
others' opinions.

One of the ideas we discussed was profile inheritance.  With that, we
would have a system-wide (administrator-managed) profile that is
populated with the entire set of bundles available via installed distro
packages (RPMs, .debs, whatever).  (I am thinking we'd have to manually
avoid conflicts in what we ship, but that's tangential here.)  We would
also have per-user profiles that allow for system-wide things to be
disabled/enabled and allows for per-user bundle installation.  Does this
make sense?

Thanks,

Andrew
(See attached file: signature.asc)