Em Segunda 11/10/2004 às 17:59, Christian Perrier dizia...

> > the language is definitely a latin one :-)
> Looking through Hector translation, I found that, yes, it looked more
> latin than celtic.

        ;-)

> Do you have a rough estimate about the number of people currently
> speaking Galego/Galician

        I think that 2.5 million people, more or less.

        However, some people (including me) consider galician
and portuguese as two varieties of the same language (much like
american and british english, for example) and write galician using
the international portuguese ortography, as used in Portugal and
Brazil. Still, other people (including the local government -> school,
TV, radio, etc.) consider it as a separate (although close) language
from portuguese, and use the spanish ortography. This problem is
a matter of continuous debate; you can get more information here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galego

        This translation group is based on the second view of the
language (that's the reason why the code is gl_ES and not pt_ES or
something like that).

> And, more for my own culture, how is the language used in daily or
> official activities, compared to, say, Catalan or Basque in their
> respective regions?

        Some decades ago it was the mother tongue of ... I don't know
exactly, but more than 80/90% of the population. Now, it's losing
speakers at alarming rates (in my opinion, mainly because of the
mass-media: radio, TV, cinema, almost everything is in spanish).

        In cities most of young people speak spanish as their everyday
language (with friends, etc.), while in smaller towns galician is
still a very common language (in my village many -most?- 15-20 yr. old
boys speak galician, and almost every 40+ year old man speaks galician
always).

        (I'm talking about the usual-everyday language, because almost
everyone can speak and understand both).

        However, even though galician is still spoken as an everyday
language by many people, it's socially an inferior language. That's
the main difference between catalan/basque and galician: here upper
classes don't speak galician. Most people prefer spanish as their "high"
language (culture, etc.), and a galician speaker is more likely to
switch his language (i.e.: it's very hard to hear an "everyday spanish
speaker" speaking galician).

        And, finally, there's one more proof that shows that galician
is not generally considered as a language for doing "important"
things: anyone can write and speak (even in TV!) with lots and lots
of mistakes and no one will care. Even everyday galician speakers can
write and speak much better in spanish, and give more importance to the
correctness of their language when speaking/writing in spanish.

        It's sad, but this is what we have :-)

Berto.