Christian Perrier wrote:

        Some decades ago it was the mother tongue of ... I don't know
exactly, but more than 80/90% of the population. Now, it's losing
speakers at alarming rates (in my opinion, mainly because of the
mass-media: radio, TV, cinema, almost everything is in spanish).

But is it teached at school, in parallel with Castillan? I guess that
Basque or Catalan are, in their respective region...which may explain
they are well alive.

If Galician is teached at school (or at least in some schools), this
gives an interesting target for free software translators....

Yes, it is. Actually, in most schools and some universities, many other subjects are teached
in galician.