#052/14-Dec-01

   POOR RICHARD'S WEB SITE NEWS
   Geek-Free, Commonsense Advice on Building a Low-Cost Web Site

       Editor: Peter Kent
         Top Floor Publishing
           http://PoorRichard.com/

        60,000 Subscribers in More Than 100 Countries!

   ~~~ IN THIS ISSUE ~~~

   ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

   Another Long Lapse ...

   My New Education Site

   You _Must_ Make Your Own Backups!

   You _Must_ Control Your Own Domain Name!

   .name Domains -- 3 Days Left!

   More New Domains: .pro, .museum, .aero, .coop

   Poor Richard's Web Site and Other Top Floor Books

   Book Reviewers Wanted

   BizBlast Reminder

   ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
         **** IF YOU FIND THIS NEWSLETTER USEFUL ...
         FORWARD IT TO FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES ****

   {{ Another Long Lapse ...  }
   ========>>>

   Okay, sorry ... I've been away again for a long time. I can't
   believe it's been six months since the last time I sent this
   newsletter. It's been a tough couple of years for me, involving
   the dotcom boom and bust (two companies, one that I started,
   and then one that employed me), a divorce, my publishing
   company ... Things had to give, and one of them was this
   newsletter. But I'm at a turning point, and have decided to
   come back to what I've done for a long time -- teaching people
   how to use technology, in particular teaching people how to
   work online.

   I intend to begin publishing regularly. In fact, let me explain
   the changes ...

   {{ My New Education Site }}
   ========>>>

   I'm going to be writing again, but most of what I write will be
   published at a new education site I've built. I'll be helping
   businesses understand how to work online. I'll still publish
   this newsletter, but it will be much shorter than the 4000-word
   monster it used to be. It will contain a short summary plus the
   first few lines of each article, with links to the articles
   published at the Web site.

   I have not yet launched the site, though you can visit if you
   wish. You'll find lots of content already, but also lots of
   [TBA] marks indicating missing information, blank pages, bad
   links, and so on. It's currently here:
   http://www.NetBizCoach.com/ (though the URL may change).

   Right now this Web site is free; later it will be partly free,
   partly open only to subscribers. Each newsletter I mail out
   will have links to both free and subscription-only articles.

   If you'd like to get a discount on the subscription when it
   finally goes live (at _least_ a 50% discount to the first 1,000
   subscribers), send a blank e-mail and I'll contact you when
   it's ready: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   So, without further ado, let's get started with the new format

   POOR RICHARD'S WEB SITE MARKETING MAKEOVER
   NEW book in the Poor Richard's Series!
   What good is a Web site if the message your customers receive
   doesn't work? In "Poor Richard's Web Site Marketing Makeover:
   Improve Your Message and Turn Visitors into Buyers", Marcia
   Yudkin shows the way toward better performing sites through
   customer-centered headlines, less jargon, and better marketing
   copy. See http://PoorRichard.com/makeover/ for more info ...
   receive free shipping through January 15, 2002.

   {{ You _Must_ Make Your Own Backups! }}
   ========>>>

   [Thousands of site owners have lost their Web sites over the
   last year. If you're not backing up your site, you could be in
   a lot of trouble. Here's why, and what you can do about it.]

   "Virtually all Web-hosting companies do backups of your Web
   site, don't they? That is, they save a copy of the site, in
   case something happens to the computer your site is hosted on.
   If there's a hard-drive crash, your site's gone ... until they
   restore the site from your backup.

   So why should you bother to do your own backups? Several
   critical reasons: ... "
   [continued here:
http://netbizcoach.com/public/how_to/maintain/backups.htm ]

   FREE BOOKS! BOOKS ON SALE!

   Buy any 2 books from the Top Floor Web Site you'll get "The
   CDnow Story" FREE!

   "MP3 for Musicians" is now 50% off! Pay $13.98, save $13.97.

   See http://TopFloor.com/

   {{ You _Must_ Control Your Own Domain Name! }}
   ========>>>

   [You can also lose your domain name ... thousands of business
   owners did this year. Here's what you can do about it.]

   "When you register a domain name you have to provide
   information about three contacts: an Administrative contact
   (the person who owns the domain name or who represents the
   company that owns the name), a Billing contact (the person
   who's going to pay the bill), and a Technical contact ..."
   [continued here:
http://NetBizCoach.com/public/how_to/domains/register_yourself.htm ]

   {{ .name Domains -- 3 Days Left! }}
   ========>>>
   "The new .name domain names will be ready soon. Right now, up
   until December 17th, it's possible to enter the queue in the
   'land rush' phase of the release. After the queue has been
   closed, names ..."
   [continued here:
http://NetBizCoach.com/public/how_to/domains/new.name_domain.htm ]

   {{ More New Domains: .pro, .museum, .aero, .coop }}
   ========>>>
   [Some registrars are taking orders for the new domain names ...
   without even knowing if they can sell them.]

   "Several more domain names are coming in the next few months:
   .pro, .museum, .aero, and .coop. ..."
   [continued here:
http://NetBizCoach.com/public/how_to/domains/more_new_domains.htm ]

   {{ Poor Richard's Web Site and Other Top Floor Books }}
   ========>>>

   Top Floor Publishing now has thirteen books in print:

   Poor Richard's Web Site Marketing Makeover: Improve Your
   Message and Turn Visitors into Buyers
   http://PoorRichard.com/makeover/

   Poor Richard's Creating E-Books: How Authors, Publishers, and
   Corporations Can Get Into Digital Print
   http://PoorRichard.com/ebook/

   Poor Richard's Home and Small Office Networking: Room-to-Room
   or Around the World
   http://PoorRichard.com/homeoffice/

   Poor Richard's Branding Yourself Online: How to Use the
   Internet to Become a Celebrity or Expert in Your Field
   http://PoorRichard.com/brand/

   Poor Richard's Internet Recruiting: Easy, Low-Cost Ways to
   Find Great Employees Online
   http://PoorRichard.com/recruiting/

   Poor Richard's Building Online Communities: Create a Web
   Community for Your Business, Club, Association, or Family
   http://PoorRichard.com/communities/

   The Official Miva Web-Scripting Book: Shopping Carts,
   Feedback Forms, Guestbooks, and More
   http://TopFloor.com/miva/

   Poor Richard's Web Site, 2nd Edition: Geek-Free, Commonsense
   Advice on Building a Low-Cost Web Site
   http://PoorRichard.com/

   Poor Richard's E-mail Publishing: Creating Newsletters,
   Bulletins, Discussion Groups, and Other Powerful
   Communication Tools
   http://PoorRichard.com/website2/

   Poor Richard's Internet Marketing and Promotions, 2nd
   Edition: How to Promote Yourself, Your Business, Your Ideas
   Online
   http://PoorRichard.com/promo/

   The CDnow Story: Rags to Riches on the Internet
   http://TopFloor.com/cdnow/

   MP3 For Musicians: Promote Your Music Career Online
   http://www.TopFloor.com/mp3m/

   MP3 and the Digital Music Revolution: Turn Your PC into a
   CD-Quality Jukebox
   http://TopFloor.com/mp3/

   ... we also carry the following books by Peter Kent

   Making Money in Technical Writing: Turn Your Writing Skills
   into $100,000 A Year
   http://TopFloor.com/techwr/

   The Official Netscape JavaScript Book
   http://TopFloor.com/books.htm

   Order direct from the publisher, and you'll get a 100%,
   1-Year Guarantee. If you feel the book wasn't worth the
   money, send it back for a refund!

   And remember, these books are discounted at the Web site, and
   you pay just one shipping cost regardless of how many books
   you buy!

   {{ Book Reviewers Wanted }}
   ========>>>

   Do you review books for newspapers, magazines, newsletters
   (electronic or paper), Web sites, or other media spots?

   If so, perhaps you'd like to review one of Top Floor
   Publishing's recent books:

   * Poor Richard's Web Site Marketing Makeover: Improve Your
     Message and Turn Visitors into Buyers
   * Poor Richard's Home & Small Office Networking: Room-to-Room
     or Around the World
   * Poor Richard's Internet Recruiting: Easy, Low-Cost Ways To
     Find Great Employees Online
   * Poor Richard's Building Online Communities: Create a Web
     Community for Your Business, Club, Association, or Family

   Or perhaps you'd like to review "Poor Richard's Web Site:
   Geek-Free, Commonsense Advice on Building a Low-Cost Web
   Site, 2nd Edition"? Or maybe one of the other books mentioned
   above?

   Contact Top Floor's Marketing Director, Missy Ramey, at
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] Include your full mailing address, the
   name of newspaper/magazine/whatever in which the review will
   appear and the probable date of publication, and the editor's
   contact information.

   {{ BizBlast Reminder }}
   ========>>>

   IMPORTANT-->: PLEASE NOTE: Despite the fact that two of my
   IMPORTANT-->: books, published early last year, mention
   IMPORTANT-->: BizBlast, I am no longer associated with the
   IMPORTANT-->: services marketed under the BizBlast name,
   IMPORTANT-->: and no longer promote those services.

                      information remains.
  This newsletter is not sent unsolicited. All the e-mail
  addresses in our database have been submitted to us for
  inclusion. If you received this message and you haven't
  subscribed, a friend or colleague may have forwarded it to
  you.

  You are currently subscribed to prwebnews as:
  [archive@jab.org].

  To unsubscribe, forward this message to
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  To subscribe, send a blank e-mail message to
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  To change your subscription address, unsubscribe by forwarding
  this message to [EMAIL PROTECTED],
  and then subscribe from your new email account by sending a
  blank e-mail message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  To read earlier issues of this newsletter, go to
  http://www.poorrichard.com/newsltr/

  To contact a real live human being (the above addresses go to
  mail-handling software), contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  For information about advertising in this newsletter, email
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]