On Feb 18, 2012, r...@gmx.at wrote:

> Hello
>
> I downloaded the patched version of psad and put it into /usr/sbin.
> Now it looks different.
>
> /etc/init.d/psad start
> Starting psad: Global symbol "$pid" requires explicit package name at
> /usr/sbin/psad line 9718.
> Global symbol "$pid" requires explicit package name at /usr/sbin/psad line
> 9720.
> Global symbol "$pid" requires explicit package name at /usr/sbin/psad line
> 9721.
> Global symbol "$pid" requires explicit package name at /usr/sbin/psad line
> 9721.
> Execution of /usr/sbin/psad aborted due to compilation errors.

What is the output of (you'll need to be root):

# md5sum /usr/sbin/psad

?

The error above is surprising because line 9718 is:

    my $pid = <PIDFILE>;

And this line is within the is_running() function, so $pid variable is properly
scoped within is_running().  The error above implies that psad shouldn't even
pass
a "perl -c /usr/sbin/psad" check.

Thanks,

--Mike