On Nov 26, 2012, Eli Wapniarski wrote:

> This is a great idea in theory.... But.... how could you tell if static or
> dynamic ip (some hacked computer at somebodies home). Once they rebooted
> their
> network they would start attacking all over again. Doesn't really help, does
> it.  This is a job for iptables not psad.
>
> Eli
>
> On Sunday 25 November 2012 23:47:36 Oscar Marley wrote:
>
> Hi everyone is it possible to define different AUTO_BLOCK_TIMEOUT values
> depending on a reached DANGER_LEVEL?
>

> Supose that an attacker has reached DANGER_LEVEL 3 and has already waited an
> amount of time and you want to increment the blocking time if he reaches
> DANGER_LEVEL 4 or block him permanently if he reaches DANGER_LEVEL 5

I tend to think that this idea is a good feature for psad to offer for
those that want to configure it (and who also run psad in auto-blocking
mode).  Typically I reserve any auto-blocking configuration to malicious
IP's that trigger an fwsnort signature in an established TCP connection
- see the ENABLE_AUTO_IDS_REGEX variable.  If one wants to run psad in
auto-blocking mode, then it seems reasonable to be able to alter the
criteria for regaining access based on the danger level an attacker
achieves.  People may be able to shift IP addresses as Eli points out,
but this feature would add flexibility for those that want to run psad
in auto-blocking mode even so.  (There are good arguments on both sides
of the auto-blocking mode question.)

Thanks,

--Mike