Hello!

I am not understanding how I implement the AUTO_IDS stuff...
things aren't working as expected...

I have these settings, cutting out perhaps most...

ENABLE_AUTO_IDS Y;
AUTO_IDS_DANGER_LEVEL 3;
ENABLE_AUTO_IDS_REGEX N;
IPTABLES_BLOCK_METHOD Y;

IPT_AUTO_CHAIN1  DROP, src, filter, drop-rules-INPUT, 1, PSAD_BLOCK_INPUT,
1;
IPT_AUTO_CHAIN2  DROP, dst, filter, drop-rules-OUTPUT, 1,
PSAD_BLOCK_OUTPUT, 1;
​IPT_AUTO_CHAIN3  DROP, both, filter, drop-rules-FORWARD, 1,
PSAD_BLOCK_FORWARD, 1;​

​Somehow, I got the idea that psad would create the PSAD_BLOCK_* chains and
insert the jumps to those blocks in the appropriate drop-rules-* chains...

But all it seemed to do is verify that the
drop-rules-(INPUT,OUTPUT,FORWARD) chains
are there, and that the PSAD_BLOCK_(INPUT,OUTPUT,FORWARD) chains are
there...

using psad --debug, I see these kinds of commands issued for each of
(INPUT, OUTPUT, FORWARD):

iptables -t filter -v -n -L drop-rules-INPUT

and then, later,

iptables -t filter -v -n -L PSAD_BLOCK_INPUT
iptables -t filter -F PSAD_BLOCK_INPUT

So, my question is: if users are responsible for making sure all the
PSAD_BLOCK_*
chains exist before starting psad, then why do we have to mention the
parent chain
at all? Who cares?

murf

​