Hi Andrew,

I cant help in that area. I am all the way in Australia so not much knowledge
of wind conditions in Portland USA. Perhaps you can visit the website for your
local meteorological service, I am sure they would have wind profiling
information. Our perhaps the station at the local airport?.

A large kite would not require very high winds to be functional at any rate..If
can suggest you can make contact Bernard Davidson from ASRI www.asri.org.au he
has built and tested all of the recovery systems for sounding rocket program.
He also designed and built a large kite for the program, and is a very helpful
fella.

Jamie