I agree. I don't really think that the igniter is the issue; I was just pointing out what is different with this test than the others. I will say, however, that I will place two charges (one match, one quest) when I test it again (I still can't get the last rings apart).

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

If it is an igniter issue, it's almost certainly solvable.

Most likely it would be the lesser mass of burning material resulting
from a fancy match ignition vs a Quest type.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
Images/movie are now posted on the wiki,
http://psas.pdx.edu/LV2cNoseconeSeperationRing/

-d

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thanks for using the list, but yeah, the attachments were too big. I
think there's a 5 MB limit. Send them to Dave, have him post them.

Nice job on the success, that's cool! I just can't believe it's the
igniter, but, still,  I look forward to the test that shows the igniter
has nothing to do with it :)

Andrew

I wrote:
I sent this to the list, but I don't think it's going to go through.
Maybe it's off line again? Sorry for the double sent, Dave, but I forgot
to ask about drilling holes...

~D

Well, we all know how I don't like to be on the critical path of this
project for too long...   I machined a separation ring set, loaded it
with powder and assembled it, then tested the ring this morning.

Success.

I'll attach photos, and hopefully Dave can upload the movie and the
pics to the wiki.

What's different that makes this one work?
1) Wider area for the gas to act on separating the ring. Note how the
ring imparted enough energy to lift the nose cone 4+ inches.
2) Foam used to retain powder is less than 1/8" wide, and very
light/spongy. Note burn marks all the way around the ring.
3) Quest ignitor (as used on all other successful separations... Hmmm...)

More tests to come.

Dave, we need more holes drilled. This one might be tough since it
wont fit the jigs and the inside isn't exactly concentric.

No, I did not hire someone to yank on the rope attached to the cone
just to trick everyone into thinking this was successful! It's all real.