I'm guessing you mean putting a spacer on the face of the bulkhead
that bares the thrust of the motor. That would effectively lower the
whole retainer assembly. We have about 0.625" of bore on the bulkhead
that the motor casing slides into, we could probably reduce that down
to as little as 0.2". I think a ring, that sat on the face of the
bulkhead, and attached to the top portion would do the trick...

Off the top of my head I can't think of any mechanical problems with
this approach. Perhaps that, combined with the countersunk screws, and
we could avoid modifying the avionics pieces...