Hi Mark, well, I'll say that at least my experience with the 2148 support
tools has been a meandering road of weird things to avoid.... I may be able
to comment on a couple items below:

1) PSAS has a FreeRTOS port (in the git repo) for the 2148 with serial
support, as well as support for a number of other devices (ADC, GPIO, RTC,
PWM etc). One of the main demo applications in there has code that utilizes
all the above hardware functionality as concurrent tasks. That may be a
start. Also, at the top of the wiki page is links to one or two other sample
apps that may be of interest in your debugging. We tested the freeRTOS port
with GCC 3.4.x and 4.1.2 and both worked. In debugging the non-running-code
problems that we encountered in the past, and using openOCD, it was helpful
to halt the CPU and dump regs, where I would often notice that it had
entered one of the abort handlers. After realizing that, and pulling the
other useful debugging information of the other regs, we were able to track
down/resolve the problem(s).

2) I haven't messed with the serial programming on it, so no comments on
that one.

3) I assuming your using OpenOCD? If that's the case, it's very sensitive to
the parameters in the config file, especially those relating to JTAG speed
and which pins pull up or down which other pins (and some of the wait times
for comm delays). Also, I've seen some code that puts the MCU into low power
mode, which has a side affect of disabling JTAG communications. In which
case fiddling with one of the dip switches & power cycling solves the
problem. I have also experienced compiler bugs, with gcc generating illegal
instructions. I upgraded tool chains and disabled optimization and that did
the trick (still not particular pleased with buggy compilers though).

Anyways, hope this is of some help....

-Dave