I'll add my $0.02 here... I used Flash Magic (to get started) on the
LPC -2378 board. It uses the serial connection to the ISP at up to
115200 bps (reasonably fast).  It's free at
http://www.flashmagictool.com (if you are running under windows).
Anyway, it's a simple way to get started until you get JTAG/USB going.

~D