On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 02:46 -0700, Glenn LeBrasseur wrote:

> It is reasuring to confirm that you believe a ballistic trajectory
> follows terrestrial rules. We will probably be there for a while.

;-)  I'm not paid enough to be a lawyer, but until you envision orbital
operations I think you're ok following terrestrial rules and using
terrestrial amateur radio frequences (with suitable project participants
licensed as hams, of course).

> However I expect we (PSAS) need to be thinking about the space segment
> sometime soon. How do you think we should proceed?

I believe an appropriately-framed overture to AMSAT-NA when the time
comes will yield enthusiastic help.  Particularly if you mention the
possibility of flying an AMSAT-provided payload component at some
point.  ;-)

While I've studiously avoided any official title in AMSAT, I've done a
few interesting things there, am thus well connected, and would be happy
to help make suitable introductions when the time comes.

Speaking of which, note that AMSAT-NA is designing a digital payload for
the Eagle spacecraft that will most likely have a C-band downlink, and
part of the design involves developing an array of patch antennas each
with a watt-ish solid state amplifier.  The goal is to be able to
electrically steer the array for directed gain... but mating the AMSAT
amplifier design to a suitably scaled version of the existing PSAS
cylindrical patch antenna could be an interesting thing to play with.
There has been work done that I can't find documented in EaglePedia yet
(I managed to convince the Eagle team to use wiki technology, but that
doesn't mean everyone's *good* at it yet... sigh) on the amplifier, but
as background the overview of the process used to pick uplinks and
downlinks for Eagle might be interesting.  See the "San Diego Meeting
Notes" at the bottom of this page:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/eagle/EaglePedia/index.php/San_Diego_Digital_Meeting

Enjoy!

73 - Bdale, KB0G