Does the poke example work when the JTAG programmer is removed, and
you use a USB to serial adapter to talk to the programmed LPC2148
board?

I can see from minicom that the RS232_0 serial port is outputting
data.    Button presses seem to produce output also.  However, the
board isn't echoing anything I type at it, so I'm concerned the board
can't hear me.

The screenshot shows a serial only connection, but I can't use a
straight serial cable because my host PC doesn't have a serial port.

Suggestions?

Sarah