Here we go again...
if(OS != Linux)
  CAN = Easy;

In one respect, I agree with Sarah's statement in that the only active node in an FC failure is the recovery node. Nothing else really matters.

That said, if you *must* have some sort of non-usb back channel communication, CAN is the way to do it. It's easier than any other protocol for the same level of performance and robustness (bar NONE). I understand that there is a lot of ill feelings on this list toward CAN, but that was an issue with CAN implemented with specific hardware and a specific OS and driver, all done without any solid tools (which are not needed at all once communication is established).

There is a reason CAN is used for safety critical equipment. The reason is that it is reliable and easy to implement. If someone here is nervous about how difficult it will be to implement, then let Dave and I have a chance to prove otherwise.

Quoting Sarah A Sharp <saharabe...@gmail.com>:

My question (before we jump into CAN or anything else) is, "What nodes
need to talk to each other if the flight computer goes down?"

If the flight computer is down, the goal should be to get the rocket
to the ground safely.  I don't think there's much point in trying to
use CAN to log data.  Given the goal of a safe landing, what nodes
*really* need to talk to each other?

If it turns out that only two nodes need to talk to each other, why
bother with CAN?  Why not just run one serial connection between the
two?  I'm concerned that we're adding too much complexity for what
should be a really simple backup system.

Sarah

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Dave Camarillo